From Health-less to Health Godess

My story so far...

Two years ago I smoked 20 cigarettes a day, if I was being frugal. Each day I drank 2 litres of diet coke and rarely had a sip of water. I ate meat with every single meal and considered myself a cheese addict. And I ended each evening eating more chocolate than most would have in a week. When I went to bed I would feel my heart doing all kinds of weird things and my hear my lungs rattle with catarrh. I ached from head to foot. I was susceptible to every little bug that floated around. If it was in the air, I would be sure to catch it and once I had caught it, I could not shake it! I spent more time with or recovering from illness than I did in fine health. On a very conscious level I thought I would die young. At the age of 25 I was giving up on my health and waiting for diabetes, heart disease and arthritis to kick in. Then something saved me. A dear friend of mine, Maxine Reece, died. She had been born with a sick heart and the Doctors said she would not live to be one year old but she did! When she made it past a year they said she wouldn’t make it much beyond that but she did! The doctors kept giving her barriers and she kept smashing through them. She was born with a sick heart but a fighting spirit and she fought tooth and nail to live a vibrant and colourful life. She packed more into the thirty years she had than most people can hope to pack in with 80. The morning she died I finally woke up. I was born with a perfect heart and lungs. There was no natural reason I wouldn’t live to a ripe old age. My health should be something I treasured and what was I doing? Throwing it away! I could see it so clearly and I was angry with myself. If I didn’t stop what I was doing I would be ungrateful and worst of all I would be disrespectful to my wonderful friend and the millions of people who through no fault of their own find themselves unhealthy. I couldn’t do it anymore. I never touched another cigarette again.
That was what started the two year life upheaval that eventually lead me to Veganism’s door. It wasn’t always a smooth ride and there were lots of ups and downs but making all these life changes has been the most rewarding journey of my life. The easiest part of the life upheaval, believe it or not, is Veganism. It is the final piece of the health puzzle that joins everything together. The phrase “if I can do it anyone can” is used a lot but in this case it is certainly apt! Two years ago I couldn’t have imagined feeling this good: I smoke precisely no cigarettes a day, I wouldn’t drink diet coke if you handed it to me in the desert. Instead I drink two litres of water and I don’t eat meat, poultry, fish, dairy or eggs. I do, on the other hand, eat huge amounts of truly delicious food and I never feel hungry or hard done by. I eat at regular restaurants all the time and never have I had a problem finding something vegan. Best of all, each night when I go to bed I feel the gentle rhythmic ticking of my healthy heart and breath deeply just to enjoy the smooth sensation of inhaling with healthy lungs. Now at the age of 27 and ¾ I feel more full of energy than I did 10 years ago. And I haven’t even touched on how healthy my conscience feels! They say the first person to live to 150 is alive right now. For the first time I consider myself in a good chance of winning that race! I’m running it for you Maxine!

Comments

Popular Posts